Salem 8k

Salem 8k

Monday, June 23, 2014

Training Summary: 6/16 - 6/22

Weekly Focus: Volume
Mon:  9 miles
Tue: AM – 4.5 miles; PM – 9 miles
Wed: AM – 4 miles; PM – 11 miles
Thu: AM – 4.5 miles; PM – 9 miles
Fri: AM – 4.5 miles; PM – Off
Sat: 0 – Day Off
Sun: 0 – Day Off
Total: 55.5 miles

Sometimes it seems like I just can’t win. I had an absolutely GREAT week going on this past week. I was feeling good and was right on target to log 90 miles. To be honest, I was shocked at how good I felt at the volume I was running, especially with the heat and humidity I had to deal with every day. However, I’ve been fighting a blister on my left foot for a while now, and it finally got the best of me. I thought I had it mostly healed, but I guess wet socks and lots of mileage were too much for it and it came back with a vengeance, covering more than the entire ball of my forefoot.

I’m definitely no wuss when it comes to stuff like this and I’ve run through plenty of bad blisters over the years. However, I only remember one or two others this bad in my 20+ years of running, one of which resulted in a trip to the emergency room with blood poisoning, so I figured better safe than sorry. Furthermore, based on some odd soreness I had in my outer shin on the affected leg and some additional soreness in my opposite quad, I could tell it was causing me to alter my form and I didn’t want to potentially cause a more long term injury by trying to run through it.

Anyway, not a whole lot worth going into any detail over because the focus of this week was high volume and therefore all I did was run. I expected to be pretty worn down by Thursday and Friday, but I really wasn’t. Like I said, I was handling it surprisingly well, which is the one positive I can take from this week. Time will tell, but I may be able to handle high volume for at least short periods of time, meaning my new training plan just might work exactly as intended.

As of writing this, I logged 4.5 miles this morning and the blister seems to be mostly healed, although it’s still pretty red (and therefore raw) under the skin, so I’ve got to be careful. I now feel like I have some unfinished business, so I’m hoping to go back and complete what I started this past week. In other words, I’d like to set out to run 90 miles and get it done this go ‘round. The first half of this year is almost over, and from a running standpoint it’s been a disappointment to say the least. A nice high mileage week would be a good way to close it out and set me up to turn things around in the second half of the year. Onward!

No comments: