Salem 8k

Salem 8k

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Update

The few people who actually follow this blog may have noticed I haven’t posted my usual weekly training summary yet, so here’s the scoop. As I mentioned previously, I experienced a high hamstring strain the day after Labor Day, and I’ve been battling it ever since. Initially I didn’t think it was going to be a big deal, especially since it seemed to loosen up as I ran, but unfortunately it looks like I was wrong, because here I am 16 days later having missed 10 days total and only run one to three miles at a time on the days I’ve made an attempt. From everything I've heard, high hamstring strains can be a real bear to get over, so I could be in for a long haul.

That said, I don’t figure there’s much point in me documenting my lack of training. Sometimes it seems like all I’ve done since I started writing this blog is record my struggles. The reality of the situation is I haven’t run fast in a long, long time, and it’s beginning to look like I never will again. I’m not totally giving up on the endeavor, but I’m being realistic. Furthermore, I’ll have to admit there’s a part of me that wants to just call it a career when it comes to competitive running and racing and just run a few miles a week for fitness. Just like I’m not ruling out running fast again, I’m not ruling out that option either. I’ve been at this a long time, and quite honestly I’ve put far more into it than I’ve ever gotten in return. I lead a busy life, and devoting a serious amount of time pursuing something that has only resulted in frustration for years now seems kind of ridiculous when you think about it objectively.

So, I’m not necessarily killing the blog just yet, but don’t expect weekly posts until I figure some things out. I wanted this blog to be inspirational and something to possibly serve to help others with training ideas, etc. Perhaps it’s accomplished that at times, but again, it seems to me that for the most part it’s just been documentation of me trying one thing after another and failing again and again. I wish everyone the best of luck with their training, racing, and whatever else is going on in life. For now, I’m out.

2 comments:

Steve Surratt said...

I believe that for master's running posting the struggles is pretty important, because, unfortunately, dealing with injuries and setbacks is the MAJORITY of our running experience. I too have pulled my blog probably 3 or more times but I keep bringing it back because I'v decided to just fight like hell to keep going. Fighting to stay healthy is an integral part of masters running. Even the very best fight it every dang day.

Anonymous said...

Think about it this way... if you took a year or so off, when you started back you'd still be way ahead of those of us who didn't even start running until we were in our forties.

If your goals are to run because you enjoy it and it's fun, then take all the time you need and come back when it's fun again.

If your goal is to be a super-elite masters runner, and you don't think you'll ever be that again, then go ahead and quit.

Just my perspective, from someone who's been a non-runner my whole life, and who has only recently gotten into it. Like anything else, I run because, overall, I enjoy it. If it gets to the point where I'm not having fun, I'll leave it behind and not think twice.

Good luck.