Salem 8k

Salem 8k

Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Training Summary: 1/26 - 2/1

Mon: 4 miles
Tue: 4 miles
Wed: 0
Thu: 6.5 miles
Fri: 5.5 miles
Sat: 0
Sun: 5 miles
Total: 25 miles

I typed up a somewhat lengthy post about this week then decided to hit the delete key because I didn't feel it was worth reading. Let’s just say the week was a roller coaster where I went back and forth between quitting altogether to getting back in shape and trying to race again to somewhere in between. To be honest, I still don’t know what I’m going to do nor am I going to spend a lot of time thinking/worrying about it. To borrow a status from the professional sports arena, I’m gonna call myself “day-to-day” and just leave it at that.

2 comments:

Steve Surratt said...

I know I say we are all individuals and no one should be arrogant enough to think they know enough to suggest training to another person....so file this one under "just something crazy to try for the heck of it". "It" saved me and now I'm on day 225 non-stop doing what Ed Whitlock (2:54 marathoner at age 73) did to start from scratch..and then set more world records..I could not get past 1 hr a day but it did not matter. I was rehabbed to be able to handle other type of work.....

"When I started back after a 1 year break I did start up at 10 minutes and added 1 minute per day. When any significant pain returned I would take time off until the symptoms improved. Then I would generally start back up again at 15 minutes and depending how long the break had been would ramp up at a faster rate until I reached my previous high point, depending how I felt (soreness and tiredness) Once up to 45 minutes my progression in time increments depended how I felt"

Anyway Steve. Just one idea among many to keep trying.

Steve Crowder said...

Thanks, Steve. I'm gonna stay at it for at least a while longer. I'm definitely still not 100% in terms of injuries, but to be honest, motivation is the bigger issue for me right now and a challenge that I haven't really had to face in the past. It's a combination of life being really busy, especially at work, and then being so out-of-shape that making a return to competitive running seems light years away even in a best case scenario. Like I said, I'm not giving up yet, but most days I'm sitting on the fence! :-)