Salem 8k

Salem 8k

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Training Summary: 6/20 - 6/26

Mon: AM - 3.5 miles; PM - 5.5 miles
Tue: AM - 4 miles; PM - 6.5 miles, incl 6 X 20/40 strides
Wed: 8.5 miles incl 5 X 3 min on/2 min off fartlek
Thu: AM - 3.5 miles; PM - 5.5 miles
Fri: AM - 4 miles; PM - 8.5 miles
Sat: 6+ miles
Sun: 4 miles
Total: 60 miles

This was a decent week with a couple exceptions. First, I was supposed to do a workout on Fri, but instead wound up with a steady distance run, partially thanks to not really feeling up to running hard and partially thanks to a storm that rolled in, complete with torrential downpours and hail. Second, I was supposed to run 11 miles on Sun with the middle 5 up-tempo, and instead all I could muster up the motivation to do was a short, easy recovery run. Based on that, I came up short of my goals, but in comparison to the past couple weeks it was definitely a success.

I still haven’t been able to overcome whatever this sickness is I’ve had for 2+ weeks. Every time I feel like I’ve got it beaten, it comes back. Between that and the heat/humidity this past week, I think it just wore me down and that’s why I faltered towards the end of the week. That said, I think I probably bit off a bit more than I could chew even under a best case scenario. Accordingly, I’m going to back off this coming week, running fewer miles and focusing on keeping my HR in the right range on recovery days. I’ve always been impatient and generally try to rush getting back in shape, and I just can’t do that this time. I’ve lost too much fitness and had too many issues, plus, like it or not, my age has definitely become a factor as well. My goal is to eventually race well again, so better to take my time and do things the right way than rush into a few mediocre at best performances then wind up injured or burned out.

That’s all I’ve got for now. Happy running!

No comments: