Salem 8k

Salem 8k

Monday, January 12, 2009

Training Summary: 1/5-1/11

Mon - 6.5 miles easy
Tue - 9 miles moderate in a cold (34 deg), pouring rain
Wed - 10 miles steady (windy!)
Thu - 6 miles easy
Fri - 10.5 miles fairly easy
Sat - 6 miles easy
Sun - 13 miles steady
Total: 61 miles

A very nice week of training! Not only was I able to meet or exceed all of my goals for the week, but I only had to do two runs by myself. About the only thing that wasn't great was the weather, and it wasn't too bad for the most part. Tuesday's run was downright miserable. I don't think there's any weather much worse for running than a cold rain, and it was as cold as it could be without coming down as snow. It was also just flat pouring. The last couple miles I had to keep pulling my pants up because they'd gotten so wet and heavy that they didn't want to stay on. Fun stuff!

As for the runs themselves and how they felt, the only day that I didn't feel pretty good was Thursday. I was tired and dead-legged for that one and my hips bothered me a little as well. Otherwise I was good to go. Not much to report as far as details because I was just logging miles. Most days the pace was anywhere from 6:40-7:10. The best run of the week was probably the long run on Sunday. David Angell came out and joined me for 13.04 miles over the hills of Fincastle, and when I say over the hills, I mean it. According to the Garmin, there was 2,038 feet of elevation gain (and loss) over the course of the run. In spite of that, and the fact that we hit the majority of our miles in the 6:30's and 40's, I felt pretty solid throughout. It was the first time since I started back three weeks ago that I could definitely tell I'm starting to make progress towards getting fit again.

This week will be more of the same. I figure I'll get in a fourth week of base work before starting to shake things up a bit. There's a possibility that I'll do a progression run or tempo run this week and I might start hill bursts as well, but for the most part I just want to get out and run and continue getting my legs under me. Knock on wood, but I feel about as good right now as I have in as long as I can remember. My pace and average heart rate tell me that I've got a long way to go to get in shape, but I have basically nothing in the way of aches/pains and that's a great feeling. I'm gonna stay on the core work, get back to see the chiro next week, and just try to keep things headed in the direction they are, because if I can do that, I think things will come around and I'll have a very good spring racing season.

No comments: