Salem 8k

Salem 8k

Monday, January 19, 2015

Training Summary: 1/12 - 1/18

Mon: 8.5 miles
Tue: 6.5 miles
Wed: 9 miles
Thu: 0 – Day Off
Fri: 0 – Day Off
Sat: 0 – Day Off
Sun: 0 – Day Off
Total: 24 miles

I had a decent run on Wednesday, and at the midway point of the week was on pace to run the most I had since August. However, I had a bit of a revelation that evening, and as you can see didn't run another step the rest of the week. The revelation was simply that what I've been doing hasn't been working. I feel like I'm stuck, not getting any fitter or any healthier. As such, I decided it was time for a reset and a change.

When coming back from an injury, normally I like to gradually increase my mileage while slowly working my average pace down, then once I feel like both those are at a reasonable level I add in workouts. That's been the plan this time, but to say it's been a struggle would be an understatement. I went back and looked at early 2011 when I was coming back from losing almost the entire year of 2010 (much more time off than with this injury), and within a couple of weeks my pace was already faster than it is now. Granted I was four years younger, and I'm sure that makes at least a little difference, but still. This comeback has been incredibly frustrating so far, and my motivation is definitely suffering as a result. In fact, hanging 'em up altogether has crossed my mind on multiple occasions.

However, rather than quit, I've decided to change things up and try to return to normal training, complete with workouts, easy days, long runs, etc. this coming week. Now, this will be a very scaled down version of normal training, so the workouts will be shorter and much slower, but I've got to try something. Perhaps mixing up the paces and distances will spark something, or perhaps it will be a disaster. At this point I just want change, so I don't really care. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Steve Surratt said...

Glad you are hanging in there. I’m in no position to give advice other than don’t quit and keep trying different things until something works. As you know, the problem, really, is there are so many different variables, so many training methodologies. And everyone seems convinced that their particular way is the best….especially when they are trying to sell you their plan, diet, or program.