Salem 8k

Salem 8k

Monday, January 12, 2015

Training Summary: 1/5 - 1/11

Mon: 8 miles
Tue: 6.5 miles
Wed: 6 miles
Thu: 9.5 miles
Fri: 7.5 miles
Sat: 6 miles
Sun: 0 – Day Off
Total: 43.5 miles

Not much to note this week. I was shooting for seven days of running and somewhere around 50 miles total, but I decided Saturday that the smart move would be to continue to take a day off each week for the time being. The fact the temp was barely into double digits Sunday morning made this decision even easier.

On the positive side, I managed to complete my longest run in over 4 months with Thursday’s 9.5 miles. Unfortunately, that’s about all I can say in the way of positives, because otherwise I kind of feel like I’m spinning my wheels. My mileage this week was almost exactly the same as last week, while my average pace remained the same and my average HR moved down by just a beat. Furthermore, my hamstring and achilles remained about the same as they’ve been for the past 2-3 weeks, meaning they’re both holding up and manageable, but neither seems to really be getting any better and they’re certainly not pain free. Add all that up and you can see why I feel like I’m not making much progress. I know it’s always a process, but now that I’ve gotten older, I’ve learned that’s it’s a much longer process than it used to be and also much easier to derail.

I have no specific plans for this week. I’ll continue to play things by ear and do whatever my body allows me to do. I’ve given up on writing out specific schedules for the time being because I just don’t know what I’ll be able to handle and don’t want the temptation to do something I shouldn’t just because it’s written down on a piece of paper. For the time being I’m basically a fitness runner rather than a competitive runner, and there’s nothing wrong with that. I hope to switch back to the latter at some point, but if I don’t, so be it. Have a good week, everyone!

No comments: