Salem 8k

Salem 8k

Monday, February 16, 2015

Training Summary: 2/9 - 2/15

Mon: 6.5 miles
Tue: 5.5 miles
Wed: 8 miles, including fartlek
Thu: 5 miles
Fri: 7 miles
Sat: 1 mile
Sun: 0 - day off
Total: 33 miles

This week went really well for the first half and then completely the opposite thereafter. I think the workout I did on Wed was one of the main reasons for that, but I needed some feedback on where I stood and I certainly got just that,

When I started the workout that day, I felt probably the best I have since before last Labor Day when my hamstring went out. I won't say I was 100%, but I felt the most normal that I have in a long, long time. The workout was a fartlek consisting of 3/3/3/2/2/1/1 min on with 2 min recovery after each interval. This was a pre-race shakeout workout for Andrew, and I knew doing the entire thing might be a bit much for me as sad as that might be, but I felt good enough throughout that I went through with it. My thought process was that I have to push the envelope here and there if I ever want to get back in shape, so this was as good a way to do that as any.

I felt a little beat-up on Thu, but honestly no more so, and probably even less so, than expected. In fact, while I didn't enjoy the run, I felt pretty good after it was over, thinking I survived the previous day's workout pretty well. Friday, however, I felt no better than I did the day before and the 7 miles I ran was a struggle both mentally and physically. Sat I started out and was limping the first few steps. Half a mile in I felt like I was just torturing myself and didn't have any good reason as to why, so I turned around and called it a day.

I'm somewhat discouraged at the moment, but I'm not giving up. I think I might slowly but surely be figuring out the root cause of all this, and if I can indeed crack that nut, then I might be able to make some progress again, or at the very least enjoy running again. So, I'll keep on working on it and hope for the best.


No comments: