Salem 8k

Salem 8k

Monday, July 6, 2015

Update

As the readers of this blog (both of them) may have noticed, it’s been a while since I posted an update. The main reason for that is I haven’t had anything I felt was worthy of posting since documenting random, short, slow, painful runs followed by a few days off isn’t exactly riveting reading material. As I mentioned the last time I did post, I managed to somehow aggravate my right hip flexor and have battled it ever since. The end result was my worst month of an already dismal 2015 with just 91 miles run in June, less than I was logging in a single week this time a year ago.

I’m by far in the worst shape I’ve been in since I started running consistently in 1992. When I’ve been able to run recently it’s been just 3-5 miles at a time at an average pace of over 8 min per mile, and even at that my average HR has been in the mid-to-upper 160’s, a level reserved for marathon pace efforts in the past. I know what I’ve been through over the past 10 months and I also understand my age and the fact that I’m still not 100% healthy, but even with those things all factored in, sometimes it’s hard for me to even fathom just how poor my fitness is. I’ve never struggled to run 8+ min per mile even after some fairly lengthy periods of time off, like when I lost almost all of 2010, and attempting to slow down even more doesn’t really help because my form starts to feel awkward. That said, for obvious reasons it’s even harder to fathom ever running fast again.

Anyway, as I type this I’m feeling about as good as I have in a while and hoping to have what might be my biggest training week of the year this coming week, meaning I need to run more than 43 miles. If I’m successful, I might get back into the habit of posting again. If not, then I’ll keep the blog in suspense until such a time that I’m actually training again.

Hope your running and everything else is going well!

No comments: