Salem 8k

Salem 8k

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Training Summary: 8/24 - 8/30

Mon: 6.5 miles
Tue: AM – 4.5 miles; PM – 8.5 miles
Wed: 6 miles
Thu: AM: 4.5 miles; PM – 7 miles
Fri: 9 miles
Sat: AM – 6 miles; PM – 3 miles
Sun: 12 miles
Total: 67 miles

The goal coming into this week was to hit 70 miles, but I realized on Thursday that goal was a little aggressive, so I decided not to push it. As a result, I came up a little short, but it was still a solid week and another step in the right direction. After floating around 30 miles a week for basically 11 months with many weeks even less than that, the last four have now gone 45, 50, 60, and 67, so I can't complain.

There's not a whole lot to go into any detail over with my training right now as it's all just running at whatever pace I can for as long as I feel appropriate, but I guess when it comes right down to it that's what base building is all about. The only comments I'll make are as follows. First, I'm still a little frustrated that my pace hasn't come down any more than it has. It's improving and I actually have a few decent miles here and there now, but overall I'm still very slow for what I'm accustomed to. That leads into my second comment which is I am seeing improvement in my average heart rate, which at least helps because it tells me that I am gaining fitness. Whereas in early-to-mid July I was averaging low-160's and feeling like I was struggling, I'm now averaging under 155 and feeling much more in control.

This coming week will be a cutback week. I figure after four weeks of steady building and getting to a point where the last two weeks I've hit almost double the mileage I was hitting prior to starting this build, that's probably a good idea. After that, I hope the following week will see the start of some real training, light workouts and all. Until next time, get after it!

No comments: