Salem 8k

Salem 8k

Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Training Summary: 8/31 - 9/6

Mon: 7.5 miles
Tue: 10 miles
Wed: 7.5 miles, light progression
Thu: 7 miles
Fri: 5 miles
Sat: 0 – day off
Sun: 8 miles
Total: 45 miles

Coming off weeks of 45, 50, 60, and 67 miles after averaging under 30 per week year-to-date, this was a planned down week. Furthermore, I knew I would be in San Diego for business, and those trips always take a toll on me, with training getting progressively harder as the week wears on. I set a goal of 50 miles and was actually on track to exceed that goal through Friday before falling apart over the weekend and settling for 45 miles total. I would have liked to have run a little more, but making sure I didn’t overextend myself was more important, and by the time the weekend rolled around I was worn out and in need of rest, so I took a day off then did a shorter-than-planned day on Sunday to give myself some extra recovery.

There was certainly nothing remarkable about this week, so I’m not gonna bother going into much detail. The only observation I’ll make is my pace out in San Diego was pretty solid in comparison to what I’ve done since getting hurt a year ago. My ten miler on Tue was a 7:21 average, and the light progression run the next day ended with a 6:41 mile. In the past all that would have been just easy running, but for now I’ll take it as a positive sign. Of course I’m sure the fact that it was right around 70 degrees and completely flat as I ran along the boardwalk beside the San Diego Bay didn’t hurt!

Anyway, this week I’ll be back on it and looking to add my first workouts in basically as long as I can remember. They won’t be anything too challenging and I’m sure the pace will be pathetically slow in comparison to what I’m accustomed to doing in workouts, but I have to start somewhere. I’m continuing to see signs that things are headed in the right direction, so I just have to be patient and let the process happen, something that has always proven easier said than done for me. Here’s hoping I can get it right this time!

No comments: