Salem 8k

Salem 8k

Monday, January 5, 2009

Training Summary: 12/29-1/4

Mon - 6 miles easy
Tue - 7 miles moderate
Wed - 9 miles steady in some ridiculous wind
Thu - 7 miles moderate
Fri - 9.5 miles steady
Sat - 6 miles easy
Sun - 11.5 miles steady
Total: 56 miles

Not really that much in the way of details to talk about. Overall it was a good week for where I am right now, so I was pleased, but I obviously didn't do anything other than just log some miles. I went into the week with a little bit of hip pain, but after my chiro visit on Tuesday it felt better immediately and by the end of the week was gone altogether. I'm very psyched about that and just hope I can hold it together from here on out. Maybe that adjustment and the core work I'm doing will be the key to keeping everything straight. I also carried a little calf soreness throughout the week, but it was never anything major and I'm sure is just my body getting used to running every day again.

Right now my running can basically be summarized by one positive and one negative. The positive is I'm feeling better by the day. I'm feeling healthier and stronger with practically every run, and I'm watching my pace get quicker while the effort gets more comfortable. The negative is I'm pathetically out of shape. I finished up my run Friday night and told Leslie that I was starting to dislike my new Garmin Forerunner. Her reply was "Why, is it telling you stuff you don't want to know?" and that was exactly correct. It's hard for me to believe the effort I'm putting in at times just to run around 7 min pace. I've gotten frustrated here and there wondering how in the world I'm ever gonna get back to doing tempo runs at 5:30 pace and races at 5:00 flat or better when I'm struggling to go 90 seconds to two minutes slower than that right now.

It's not always fun, but I realize the only thing I can do is stick it out, keep doing things the right way, and have faith that it will all pay off eventually. I'm confident it will, but I also think it's going to be a long road back and will probably be March or later before I'm the least bit fit. After all, I'm not just coming off an injury that kept me out a couple months. I'm coming off a bad year, which was preceded by several mediocre years. That's a lot to overcome, so I'm just gonna have to be very diligent yet patient while my fitness comes around. Oh, and I'm sure being an old man doesn't help - ha, ha.

This week will be more of the same. I'd like to get in around 60 miles and work on getting my pace down some. I don't really plan on doing anything structured, but I'm also not gonna rule out a progression run or throwing in a few strides if I'm feeling good. After this week I hope to be in a position to start doing hill bursts again and maybe a scheduled progression run or tempo run just to shake things up a bit. On I run!

No comments: