Salem 8k

Salem 8k

Monday, June 1, 2015

Training Summary: 5/25 - 5/31

Mon: 7 miles, including 2 mile tempo
Tue: AM – 3 miles; PM – 6 miles
Wed: AM – 3.5 miles; PM – 6.5 miles, including 4X20 sec strides
Thu: 0 – Off
Fri: 5 miles
Sat: AM – 6 miles; PM – 3 miles
Sun: 8 miles
Total: 48 miles

My goal coming into this week was twofold. First, I wanted to get back to real training, including workouts, drills, etc. Second, I wanted to break 50 miles. While I failed on both counts, I’m actually ok with the way things turned out. The last couple days of the week were very tough at work and led to an unplanned day off on Thu, which also happened to be the day I’d planned to do my second workout of the week, and then a reduced volume day on Fri. If not for that, I would have met my goals and then some. So, overall I’ll take this as a step pin the right direction.

The workout on Mon would have been funny if not for how sad it was. I kept my HR in the low-170’s, as was the goal, but my pace, which I’m too embarrassed to actually state, was pretty pathetic. I guess you gotta start somewhere. The next couple days were doubles fighting the heat, which got to me pretty bad Wed afternoon. From there, the week sort of went awry thanks to work, but I managed a decent weekend to salvage things at least to a certain extent.

Believe it or not, this was actually the most mileage I’ve run in a week since hurting my hamstring the day after Labor Day, so basically 9 months ago. This coming week marks the start of June, and I feel like I’m finally ready to put in a solid month of training. For the most part, all systems are go, so now I just have to be consistent, which will also entail being smart, and do the work. I can’t even imagine running a 5k at 6 min pace right now, so I have a crazy long way to go to achieve my goals and it will be every bit of the monumental challenge I thought it would be. I like a good challenge though, so bring it on!

No comments: