Salem 8k

Salem 8k

Monday, December 18, 2023

Training Recap: Dec 11-17

Dec 11-17
Mon: 7.5 miles with Threshold B workout (4X5 min with 60 sec shuffle)
Tue: 5.5 miles easy
Wed: AM - 6.75 miles with Threshold C workout (3X7 min with 90 sec shuffle; PM - 2.75 miles easy
Thu: 5.5 miles easy
Fri: Off (unplanned)
Sat: 4.25 miles easy
Sun: 4.75 miles easy
Total: 37 miles
Note: Strength training on Mon and Wed

This was the second week in a row that was sub-par and didn't go as planned. The first three days were basically according to schedule. I had to cut the warm-up and cool-down a little short on Wed due to needing to be at a work event that morning, so I figured I would double back with a few easy miles in the afternoon. That may have turned out to be a mistake because by Fri I was feeling wiped out again, and as with last week, needed to take an unplanned day off. Accordingly, I just ran easy on Sat and Sun to try to recover and regroup so I can get back on track this coming week.

What you see above has been all too common, not just recently, but really going back the past several years. I can put together very short stints of decent training but it seems I always cross the line and wind up feeling burned out, after which I need some lighter training in order to recover. As a result, training has looked like a roller coaster, which is not a good thing because consistency is key! When it comes to the effects of aging, this seems to be where I've been hit the hardest.

I've never been great at being conservative at anything. When I'm in, I'm all in! That's served me well in many aspects over the years, but it's not necessarily my friend when it comes to training these days. Going forward, I simply must do a better job at keeping the reins on things with the hope that if I do so I will make fitness gains and can also slowly, gradually increase both the quality and quantity of my training over time. I can't just jump in and will it to happen like I could 20 years ago!

Anyway, hopefully I can get back on track this coming week and have a decent week of training, although the week of Christmas and the week after always tend to be a bit crazy with all the Holiday activities. The goal will be 45 miles with 3 light workouts and a "long" run. Stay tuned for upcoming posts on how I plan on laying out my training as well as what I'm thinking in regards to racing in 2024. Thanks for reading, and have a great week, everyone!

No comments: