Salem 8k

Salem 8k

Monday, January 8, 2024

Training Recap: Jan 1-7

Jan 1-7
Mon: 5,5 miles easy
Tue: AM - 7.25 miles with threshold (4X5 min w/ 90 sec), PM - 3.25 miles easy
Wed: 5.5 miles easy
Thu: AM - 6.25 miles steady, PM - 3.5 miles easy
Fri: AM - 8.25 miles steady, PM - 3.5 miles easy
Sat: 5 miles easy
Sun: 5.5 miles easy
Total:  53+ miles

Missed last week's recap, but that's no big deal because it was a similar week to the previous couple. I had a few good days, only to offset them with a few bad days, and the result was a meager 33 miles. This week I did a much better job of being consistent and it showed in the results, which is good, because this was Week 1 of the RunAbout Sports Roanoke EatSleepRunAbout2024 challenge.
 
That's the good. The bad is my left hip/hamstring bothered me all week. It wasn't bad, but it was always there and was annoying, enough so that a lot of runs weren't much fun and I decided no faster paced running after Tuesday's workout. I even had to dial back the effort on that workout just to err on the side of caution and not risk further aggravation. Such is the life of a 50 year old, I guess.

I did implement a lot of strength work this week, doing at least a little something every day. I focused on my hips, hamstrings, and glutes, with some core work added in. I was also diligent with stretching, foam rolling, and doing other mobility work to try to get my hamstring to settle down.

This coming week is going to be very difficult. I have some work events that I know are going to make it challenging to do what I need/want to do. Hopefully I can find a way to fit everything in because I'm just 7 weeks away from when I want to make my 2024 racing debut. 

At some point in time soon, I hope to have some time to go into more detail on my training philosophy and some other running-related posts to make this blog more interesting. If you have ideas for topics, feel free to drop them in the comments. Thanks for reading, and hope everyone has a great week!

No comments: