Salem 8k

Salem 8k

Monday, January 15, 2024

Training Recap: Jan 8-14

Jan 8-14
Mon: 5 miles easy
Tue: 0 - unplanned day off due to work and weather
Wed: 3.5 miles easy
Thu: 4.25 miles easy
Fri: 5 miles easy
Sat: AM - 6.5 miles incl 3X5 min at threshold, PM - 3 miles easy
Sun: 5 miles easy
Total:  32+ miles

Ugh! This week did NOT go according to plan. It got off to a bad start on Monday when I was supposed to do a double with a workout only to have something go awry at work such that I was lucky to just be able to squeeze in 5 miles. Tuesday I knew was going to be a challenging day at work, and by the time I got to the end I was just wiped out and couldn't motivate myself to get out the door, especially in the rain. From there, things just went downhill and I struggled with energy and motivation through the end of the week. I got it back together by the weekend and had a decent day Sat followed by a normal recovery run on Sun.

So, long story short, I'm right back on the roller coaster, following up a 53 mile week last week with just 32 (almost 33) this week. I'm not sure how to turn things around, but building some consistency is task number one for the foreseeable future. Until I can regularly churn out 50'ish mile weeks, it's going to be difficult to get anywhere. It's really disappointing because I had hoped to be in Richmond this coming weekend for the Masters race at the USATF XC Championships, but I'm not even close to being fit enough to think about that. I also had the USATF Masters 5k Championships in Atlanta Feb 24 on my radar, but at just 6 weeks away, I don't see that happening either. I don't mind racing on less than fitness than I would like, but I'm not going to travel just to completely embarrass myself.

Looks like a challenging weather week ahead with wind chills in the single digits and some snow mixed in here and there as well. Training this time of year is just a drag, but you gotta gear up and go. Hopefully I can be consistent and hit 45-50 miles then gradually build from there. Have a great week, everyone!

No comments: